What should you bring to Forest Echo? / Frequently Asked Questions
The Farm Pond in autumn.
Like More Info? Check out cabin availability and contact us for more information about Forest Echo Farm.
- Please note that there is no electricity (or WIFI) at any of the cabins. Everything is gas, wood, or hand powered. (see notes below)
- Each cabin has a fully equipped kitchen, hot and cold running water, indoor bathroom, and overhead LP gas lamps.
- Bring your own bed linens (or sleeping bags), blankets, towels and food.
- No housekeeping, please leave a clean cabin for the next guests.
What is supplied at each cabin?
- pots and pans
- dishes and silverware
- mugs and cups
- cooking utensils
- percolator coffee pot
- refrigerator with small freezer (gas powered)
- gas stove
- wood stove
- kerosene lamps
- overhead gas lamps
- hot/cold running water
- indoor or outdoor shower (Cold Spring and Ripley Hill have indoor bathtubs, Paperstock only has showers)
- indoor and outdoor toilet
- toilet paper
- modest supply of books and games
- modest supply of cleaning materials (you may need to supplement)
- broom and dustpan
- modest supply of food staples such as spices, and perhaps rice or pasta. Feel free to use whatever you find in the cabinets.
- See individual cabin descriptions for specifics: Ripley Hill, Cold Spring, Paperstock
What do you need to bring to Forest Echo?
- all food and drink (there may be some random supplies in the cabinets, feel free to use what you find)
- all bed linens/sleeping bags
- dish towels / paper towels
- bug repellent
- sweater/jacket - nights can be cold, even in summer
- Forest Echo is extremely casual, so bring only comfortable clothing.
- We discourage the use of anti-bacterial soaps and detergents as they are not good for the septic systems.
Other recommended items:
- hiking boots
- rain gear
- bathing suit
- bathrobe (for outdoor showers)
- extra blanket
- books, games, and toys
Notes about electricity, cell phone service and WiFi:
- There is no electricity or WiFi available at any of the cabins.
- There is cellular service available around most of the property, however not right around Paperstock.
- if you don't plan to "unplug" completely, bring a fully charged phone/device battery recharger.
- WiFi is available at the Ludlow library and at Ludlow coffee shop, Java Baba's 57 Pond St, Ludlow, VT 05149
213 Main St
Ludlow, VT 05149
Store Phone: (802) 228-8468
Store Hours: Open Daily 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Ludlow Farmers' Market
Memorial Day to Columbus Day
Front Lawn of the Okemo Mountain School
53 Main Street, Ludlow, Vermont
There are no laundry facilities at Forest Echo.
There is a laundromat not too far away, the Ludlow Laundry Company 57 Pond St, Ludlow, VT 05149. It is located next to Java Baba's which has coffee, sandwiches, ice cream and internet.
We do not offer a 'housekeeping' service, but instead ask you to clean up before your departure and leave the cabin ready for the next renters. Please clean the kitchen by wiping all appliances and counters, wipe all tables, take your leftover food home, sweep the floor and take your trash, compost, and recyclables to our Caretakers for disposal. Please don't throw any trash or compost into the woods as this will attract animals.
If you feel energetic, feel free to pay it forward and clean anything else to leave it better than you found it!
Because the water system, propane appliances, kerosene lamps and general infrastructure at Forest Echo can be quirky, should anything go wrong please do not attempt any repairs yourself. If it seems like you have run out of water, let the Caretakers know, it may be an easy fix. Let the Caretakers know of any issues either by speaking directly to them or leaving them a note at their door. Thanks for your help!
Walking Distances Between Forest Echo Features:
See specific cabin descriptions for average walking/hiking times among Forest Echo features.
View guidelines about bringing your dogs to Forest Echo.
See also About Forest Echo for more information about cleaning up your cabin, cell phones and things to do in the area.
See Directions for help finding us. Your GPS may lead you astray.