What should you bring to Forest Echo? / Frequently Asked Questions
The Farm Pond in autumn. Colored leaves reflecting on the water.
- Caretakers will clean appropriate surfaces before your arrival (this is in addition to your own housekeeping).
Waivers to Sign Upon Arrival
- View Dog policies and Forest Echo Pet Waiver - one adult will need to sign this upon arrival
- View Forest Echo COVID-19 Waiver and Information - every adult will need to sign this upon arrival
No Housekeeping, Electricity or WiFi. Bring Bed Linens
- Please note that there is no electricity or WIFI at any of the cabins. Everything is gas, wood, solar or hand powered. (see notes below)
- Each cabin has a fully equipped kitchen, hot and cold running water, indoor bathroom, and overhead LP gas lamps.
- Bring your own bed linens (or sleeping bags), blankets, towels and food.
- Bring your own cleaning supplies and hand sanitizer.
- No housekeeping, please leave a clean cabin for the next guests.
What is supplied at each cabin?
- pots and pans
- dishes and silverware
- mugs and cups
- cooking utensils
- percolator coffee pot
- refrigerator with small freezer (solar powered)
- gas stove
- indoor wood stove
- outdoor fire pit (Ripley Hill) or hearth (Cold Spring)
- outdoor grill grate and grilling implements
- kerosene or solar lamps
- overhead gas lamps
- hot/cold running water
- indoor shower, tub, toilet at Ripley Hill
- outdoor shower at Cold Spring (hot/cold water)
- indoor toilet at Cold Spring
- outhouse at each cabin
- toilet paper
- one roll of paper towels
- modest supply of books and games
- modest supply of cleaning materials (you may need to supplement)
- broom and dustpan
- dog hair broom
- See individual cabin descriptions for specifics: Ripley Hill, Cold Spring
What do you need to bring to Forest Echo?
- all food and drink (there may be some random supplies in the cabinets, feel free to use what you find)
- bed linens / sleeping bags
- hand sanitizer and masks
- dish towels / paper towels (if you will need more than 1 roll)
- a sponge or washcloth for dishes
- insect repellent (especially for mosquitoes and ticks)
- some cleaning materials (modest supply at cabins)
- sweater/jacket - nights can be cold, even in summer
- Forest Echo is extremely casual, so bring only comfortable clothing.
- We discourage the use of anti-bacterial soaps and detergents as they are not good for the septic systems.
Other recommended items:
- hiking boots
- light-weight long sleeves and pants to protect against biting insects
- rain gear
- bathing suit
- bathrobe (for outdoor showers)
- extra blanket
- books, games, and toys
- telescope or binoculars (you can see the milky way!)
Notes about electricity, cell phone service and WiFi:
- There is no electricity or WiFi available at any of the cabins.
- There is cellular service available around most of the property, however not right around Paperstock cabin.
- If you don't plan to "unplug" completely, bring a fully charged phone/device battery re-charger.
- WiFi is available at the Ludlow library and at Ludlow coffee shop, Java Baba's 57 Pond St, Ludlow, VT 05149
Cleaning Up Before You Depart
We do not offer a 'housekeeping' service, but instead ask you to clean up before your departure and leave the cabin ready for the next renters. Please clean the bathroom by wiping all fixtures. Please clean the kitchen by washing and putting away anything you used, wiping all appliances and counters, wipe all tables, and take your leftover food home. Take your trash, compost, and recyclables to our Caretakers at the Barn and leave in the "Drop Zone" by the door for disposal. No need to sort recyclables, but please rinse them if necessary. Please don't throw any trash, food or compost into the woods or outhouse as this will attract animals. Sweep the cabin and shake out any small rugs. If you have brought a dog with you, please pay extra attention to clean up any dog hair.
If you feel energetic, feel free to pay it forward and clean anything else to leave it better than you found it!
Check out is by noon.
Quiet hours are 10:00pm to 8:00am daily. Keep in mind that voices will echo through the forest when you are outside and also from the screened porch. Please respect your fellow guests and caretakers.
Music and Radios
Everyone enjoys their time in the cabins and outdoors differently. To be respectful of everyone at Forest Echo when you are there, if you choose to play music or anything over a speaker, please keep the volume low so that you can hear it around where you are, but others can't hear it.
Lake, Pond and Boats
Visitors have free, shared access to the two canoes, two single kayaks and the double kayak at Tiny Pond. Various sized life jackets and paddles are hanging nearby. To keep our pond free of milfoil, no outside boats or paddles are allowed. Licensed fishing is allowed. There are small fish in Tiny Pond including common suckers and pickerel. It is not stocked. The Farm Pond is close to Ripley Hill and Cold Spring cabins, it's great for a cool dip on a hot day.
Please read the rules about bringing your dog to Forest Echo. Pay extra attention to cleaning up dog hair in your cabin before you depart. One adult will need to sign the Pet Waiver upon arrival.
Wildlife and Insects
Forest Echo cabins are surrounded by our 400 acres of forest and meadows plus several other large, wild parcels of land owned by either VT, non-profit groups or private individuals. When you come to stay with us, please expect to be surrounded by the natural world. Even though you may not see them, there are rabbits, mice, raccoons, porcupines, skunks, snakes, newts, and other small wildlife in the immediate vicinity, as well as black bear, deer, moose, beaver, otter, coyotes and of course dozens of birds of all description in the surrounding forest. There are also lots of insects such as crickets, ticks, mosquitoes, bees and butterflies.
While it is unusual to see black bear at Forest Echo, our land is part of the Green Mountain Bear Corridor and they are definitely present; it is not uncommon to find scat or other evidence that they have been around. While they have never been a big problem at Forest Echo, do not leave food out on the porch or dump your waste food in the woods or outhouses. Take your trash, compost, and recyclables to our Caretakers at the Barn to be disposed of properly. The Green Mountain Club has good tips about living with bears and how to behave if you encounter them.
213 Main St
Ludlow, VT 05149
Store Phone: (802) 228-8468
Store Hours: Open Daily 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Ludlow Farmers' Market
Memorial Day to Columbus Day
Front Lawn of the Okemo Mountain School
53 Main Street, Ludlow, Vermont
There are no laundry facilities at Forest Echo.
There is a laundromat not too far away, the Ludlow Laundry Company 57 Pond St, Ludlow, VT 05149. It is located next to Java Baba's which has coffee, sandwiches, ice cream and internet.
Because the water system, propane appliances, kerosene lamps and general infrastructure at Forest Echo can be quirky, should anything go wrong please do not attempt any repairs yourself. If it seems like you have run out of water, let the Caretakers know, it may be an easy fix. Let the Caretakers know of any issues either by speaking directly to them, texting them, or leaving a note at their door. Thanks for your help!
Walking Distances Between Forest Echo Features
See specific cabin descriptions for average walking/hiking times among Forest Echo features.
Check-in: 2:00pm to 5:00pm (later arrival times by special arrangement)
- Two nights minimum.
- No charge for dogs. No cats or other animals allowed. View our pet policy.
- Full payment due within 7 days of reservation.
- Reservations unconfirmed within 7 days will not be honored.
- All rates and policies are subject to change without notice on this web site.
- We reserve the right to refuse service.
- Early departure will forfeit payment.
- No smoking in the cabins.
- View Availability and Rates for cancellation policy.
See also About Forest Echo for more information about cleaning up your cabin, cell phones and things to do in the area.
See Directions for help finding us. Your GPS may lead you astray.
Like More Info? Check out cabin availability and contact us for more information about Forest Echo Farm.